Monday, November 4, 2019

Indulging My Fantasy...

Long time no blog.

So I've kind of changed my focus over the past year. I ended up participating in the second Old World Army Challenge.


As a result, I found myself really being drawn to Warhammer Fantasy Battle, initially 4th edition (my OWAC entry was a 4th edition Night Goblin army), but now edging closer to 3rd as my primary ruleset. It helps that this is the primary ruleset used by my semiregular opponents in the "Oldhammer in the New World" scene, a lingua franca with D6s, as it were.




I've always been a fan of the humble goblin, unreliable scum that they are. However, the 3rd edition list found in Warhammer Armies is lacking a bit in gobbo variety compared to later editions. To that end, I'm thinking of including a unit of half-orcs. I've got a few Citadel half-orcs that I was planning to use as characters, but I think I'll use the "soldier orcs" from Asgard Miniatures as my rank-and-file (sculpted by Jes Goodwin and still available through the Viking Forge). One nice benefit of half-orcs is that they're not affected by animosity, as near as I can tell from my understanding of the rules.



Now the list in Armies does specify at least 20 common orc boyz and 20 arrer boyz, so it would be worthwhile to at least have those on hand to fill out the force. Like most in the Oldhammer sphere, I don't particularly care for the modern GW Orc/Orruk (however, I am fond of Brian Nelson's early fantasy orcs and Gorkamorka stuff). I'd rather stick to 1980s sculpts for their wiry menace and general wretchedness. Luckily, I've got a set of Ruglud's boyz and a set of Harboth's archers to this end.

So that's the loose plan. Keep the focus on the goblins (war machines and wolfboyz incoming), but branch out into orcdom, just a bit.

4 comments:

  1. Rugluds and Harboths are essential to any green skin force! Your army is stout too...looking forward to facing it agin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good path forward...anything to break up animosity in a greenskin army is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn’t that half the fun. Playing goblins should be like a long car ride with kids in the back seat. Then when you arrive you let the little fanatics out. 😂😂😂

      Delete
    2. That is really the perfect summary of playing goblins, especially since the fanatics will often come back at you!

      Delete